Love All Animals
One day, while
walking through a field without a destination, Roger, a
17-year-old boy, saw some horses calmly grazing and got
close to them. He noticed a pony and carefully
approached it. It was brown and white. Beautiful!
Placing a hand on its head, he patted the horse who in
turn looked at him and whinnied.
The young man smiled, pleased with the pony's reaction.
Then he walked a little farther as he saw another horse
and also ran his hand over its back.
At that moment, the other pony came up to him and
sniffed his head. Roger was amused and start playing
with the horse.
He felt like riding it, and after running his hand on
its hair again, he jumped on. The pony, after feeling
the boy's weight on its back, happily ran across the
While Roger was riding it, the owner of the horses
arrived and was surprised to see the young man riding
his pony. Seeing the man who ought to be the owner of
the estate, Roger slowed down and approached him, as he
was probably not happy to see a stranger riding one of
his horses, and said:
- Excuse me, sir! Is this your pony?
- Yes, and the other horses are also mine.
- I beg your pardon. When I saw your pony, I was amazed!
It is beautiful! I tried to ride it and it accepted me.
I thought it was going to react badly but it did not so
we rode out.
The owner of the pasture, amazed, asked:
- What else did you do to make it accept you?
- Nothing, sir! I just ran my hand on its head, on its
back, and it did not react. So I tried to ride it and
off we went.
Sitting on a nearby rock, the owner took off his hat and
wiped his sweaty face with a handkerchief as it was a
hot day. Then, calling the young man, he said:
- Have you ever worked with horses?
- No, sir. But I like animals and they like me! I do not
know the reason!
- Well, I do. You have a way to deal with animals. They
like affection, attention, a soft voice talking to them.
That's why you got to ride him. This foal is my most
unsociable animal. He does not like it when anyone comes
near him or ride him. But you did it, because you treat
him with affection and kindness.
- Maybe it's because I like horses and I like most
- Would you like to work for me? I need someone to look
after the horses. What do you think?
The young man thought for a moment and smiling said:
- Actually, sir, I'm unemployed. My old boss died and
the widow sold the place. I would like to work with your
animals. I can easily understand them, and they can
understand me. If you think I am good enough, I am at
So Roger started to work at that place, feeling happy to
deal with those horses that liked him back.
One day, the boss watched him train a horse that had
just arrived and was reputed to be dangerous. He asked
- Roger, why do horses like you so much? Even the one
who arrived yesterday, who is famous for being
indomitable! ... My staff tried to ride it, but it did
not let them. However, it accepted you very well! I
- Look, boss, I can only think that it is due to the
affection that I feel for them, and that they perceive
it and feel the same for me! Animals feel when we do not
like them. They know I'm not pretending!
- I also think so. And thank you for staying here at the
ranch and taking care of my horses, which I am very
attached to! I'm glad to have you here with us! Thank
(Psychographed by Célia X. de Camargo on 10/04/2017.)
Johnny Silveira / email@example.com